[Cob] Geography of Natural Building Version 1.0

catinmoon catinmoon at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 13:05:42 CDT 2007

Greetings folks,

  while back I posted an inquiry about the geography
of building codes, in the interest of thinking about
cob-friendly places to build. I asked for information
on specific locations.

Thanks to Shannon there is a pdf file now posted with
some preliminary information:

http://www.deatech.com/natural/codemap.pdf

There are 3 parts to the file:
1.  Maps
2.  A spreadsheet summarizing information on the maps
3.  A spreadsheet summarizing information that folks
sent me, or that I found on the way to looking up
other things

I see this as the beginning of our work, not the final
product.  If you have updates, additions, etc. please
send to me and I will generate an updated version.

NOTE:
**The maps were generated from a 2002 source, so may
be out of date--this was the most recent source I
could find. I do however think they are of interest in
looking at geographic patterns. See pdf for reference.
**The information sent to me was not collected
systematically, i.e. it is guaranteed to be incomplete
by its nature.  That's why it will be great to receive
your additions/corrections, etc.  I know I heard in
the past there are some nat building friendly counties
in Colorado, but I don't recall which ones.

Thanks to Shannon for her help with condensing the pdf
file and graphics to a reasonable size, and postings.

Hope you are having a great summer. It's hit triple
digits here in Chico and I'm trying to get my swamp
cooler to cooperate.

Best,
STephanie

>I've got the file posted at:
>
>     http://www.deatech.com/natural/codemap.pdf
>
> It has been linked to from two pages, my natural
> building index page:
>
>     http://www.deatech.com/natural
>
> and my article on building code alternatives:

http://www.deatech.com/natural/articles/code_alternatives.html

If we think about the tree as a design, it's something that makes oxygen, sequesters carbon, fixes nitrogen, distills water, provides a habitat for hundreds of species, accrues solar energy, makes complex sugars and food, creates micro-climates, self-replicates.  So what would it be like to design a building like a tree? What would it be like to design a city like a forest?  So what would a building be like if it were photosynthetic?  What if it took solar energy and  converted it to productive and delightful use?
               ~~William McDonough

Need Mail bonding?