[Cob] Easiest way to install a plate window?

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 14:52:47 CDT 2007

Hi Dulane,    I wouldn't recommend installing the panes as you describe for fear of creating a moisture trap.  The cob walls will likely let more moisture into the space between the panes than will exit.  Moisture moves from heat to cold and will condense on the inside of the colder pane.  Double pane windows are manufactured with a seal that keeps out moisture, and often filled with an insulative gas.  Storm windows from the 1930's were built so the exterior pane was in its own frame and could be propped open or removed for drying/cleaning. Would that be an option for you?  Or maybe install two small plastic tubes, both entering the widow "tube" as you call it.  One exiting the bottom to outside, the other out the top.  Then they could be plugged and opened to ventilate if moisture became a problem.  If it never manifests just plaster over the tubes where they exit the house.- Bernhard
____________________________________bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Natural building instruction and consultation> From: "Dulane" <silkworm at spiderhollow.com>> Subject: [Cob] Easiest way to install a plate window?> > I have two beautiful glass plates I want to use for a window. I've used a > couple of colored glasses made into sealed tubes so far...with good outcome, > but I'm unsure how to approach the plates.> > They are both carnival type glass, and one is blue, one is clear. I envision > just cobbing the larger one in first, and then gradually trying to smooth > the inside of the cob and clean up everything while I try to get the second > smaller window embedded on the inside.> > I haven't figured out how to make a semi-permanent tube for my 2-plate > window.> > Anyone have any suggestions? It seems like it should be a two step > process...with the inner part of the window 'tube' being allowed to dry > somewhat first. (I'm doing the 2 plates for the insulative factor.)> > Thanks!> Dulane
Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! Find it!
http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01