[Cob] recent pejorative postings regarding my earlier postings...yawn...

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Mon Jul 16 11:51:00 CDT 2007

For clarity, one more time (!) I was not throwing "shit", but merely
suggesting that we "cob-listers" should consider the wisdom of our
cob "elders".  Neither am I "afraid" of cob building if it is done
well, but I must say I am getting little bored at the silly,
inconsistent discourse of this list.

Certainly, Cat, a child can build a snow cave and have a cozy
afternoon drinking cocoa in it.  But would you want an infant to
build your house, or our bridges or highways?  Naivete has its place,
but so does education, training and expertise.

On the other hand, lets recall those recent posts so concerned with
securing permission from the all-powerful Building Department to
build our cob masterpieces.  In my option this will never happen,
since "official" authorities will never respect what we do -
grassroots construction, off-the-grid housing.  Then again, I don't
feel I need their permission to build either.

There is a middle ground of authority in the emerging cob field which
has earned my respect:  Ianto, Linda and Michael have decades and
literally hundreds of building in their portfolio, and they have
earned my devotion as the leaders of the field.  Their workshops are
thorough, incredibly fun and inspirational.  And if you don't have
$600, they offer "sustainable lifestyle" discounts, work trades, etc.

For anyone who can't get to Oregon for a Cob Cottage workshop, I also
recommend their primer, the "Hand Sculpted House", undoubtedly to
best researched and detailed "how-to" manual on earthen building.
The book explains rather well why straw is needed, as well as
economic and ecological motivations, and the healing aspects of cob.
It's available through most online book sellers, and also through our
online store at http://www.woodfiredeatery.com

BTW - its OK to used hay or straw with seeds - the wall sprouts the
first season while its wet, looks like a chia pet, but then once dry
no more growth.

Cobbing always,
Ocean Liff-Anderson

Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary
http://www.peacemaking.org

Proprietor, Intaba's Wildfire Restaurant