[Cob] straw/hay

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon Jul 16 12:19:35 CDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Ocean Liff-Anderson wrote:

[snip]
> BTW - its OK to used hay or straw with seeds - the wall sprouts the
> first season while its wet, looks like a chia pet, but then once dry
> no more growth.
[snip]

NOTE: The primary arguments I am aware of against hay are:

  - It is not a "waste" product like straw is, since it has nutritional
    value and can be fed to animals

  - Hay is normally much more expensive than straw (because it isn't a
    waste product)

  - It will rot/break down more in your wall while it is drying (the food
    part of it rots more easily).

None of these make it unsuitable for cob, simply not the preferred choice.

NOTE:  I have one building that was done by simply (okay it wasn't that
simple :-) hand harvesting the grasses and other fibrous plants that grow
naturally around the building site.  You will probably want to test how
they hold up before doing this since different plants behave in different
ways, however, in this case the result is stronger than what I get from
baled straw in this area.

FWIW.