[Cob] Homesteading: waste mgt

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Mon Jul 30 04:15:24 CDT 2007

On Jul 29, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Raduazo at aol.com wrote:

  As for meeting code requirements, I have at least one friend that has
both a flush toilet and a bucket toilet. He chooses to use the one that
uses
no water.
Ed

I know a man who PLANNED to install the required septic tank ( a big
cement box in the ground--- and after the final home inspection of his
strawbale house, he planned to USE the NEW CLEAN tank as a rainwater
catchment, and go on with the  humanure composting method that had used
for years.. I saw his [ local  rental house in Humboldt)   home made
system outside, he  kept good care of the temps, and turning the
compost, and all that is required, and he grew a great garden too... so
he  had it down pat.

I thought it was clever to use the cement tank for water catchment
storage ...his money..his plan.. BUT he was way out in the wilderness
in CO...and he knew no inspectors come back.  the ladies with the cob
home are in a visual spot where it is too late to NOT comply in some
way.

With all the reasons they are right, and are doing the right
composting,  ..there is also a real concern by any public office in
charge of waste safety that they protect others and the water stream.

Remember  a key reason   that most communes failed in the late 60's  is
contamination  by  human waste of the grounds, garden, etc.
people got sick alot, babies had constant diarreahha and more, due to
poor understanding of sanitation.

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  www.papercrete.com
PO BOX 375   CUTTEN CA 95534  USA