[Cob] Gravel Bag Foundations

James from House Alive james at housealive.org
Wed Aug 8 16:59:43 CDT 2007

I've successfully built several cob buildings on earth bag foundations.  We
always put a little bit of cement in the earth mix (at about 10 parts earth
to 1 part cement), to make basically "soil cement."  The bags are placed on
a rubble trench with proper drainage.  This is not quite "gravel-filled"
bags, but I would be reluctant to use any non-stabilized material for my
foundation.  As you mention this is an experimental technique: there are not
many examples of it that have stood the test of time (longer than a few
years).  But I know that there are many people doing it with satisfactory
results so far.

Good luck,
James