[Cob] Wood in rocket stoves vs. LP

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Wed Sep 26 14:22:33 CDT 2007

Hello Bryan,

I disagree that LP is smarter than using wood in a rocket stove.

The rocket stove achieves a very high efficiency due to a super-
heated combustion in the insulated heat riser.  The POCs (products
from combustion) from the rocket stove are mainly steam, CO2 and a
very fine mineral-like ash left in the burn chamber.  Plus, due to
its efficiency, the rocket uses much less wood than any conventional
wood stove.

By burning wood, in modest amounts, we produce a net-zero emission of
the green house gas - the properly managed wood lot sequesters CO2
from the atmosphere into the trees, which are then burned and re-emit
the same CO2.

LP on the other hand is a by-product of petroleum extraction,
bringing more carbon up from the depths of ancient deposits, and when
burned, adds CO2 to global warming.  LP is becoming more scarce and
the price is rising with the price of oil.  Plus, LP does emit a
finite amount of pollutants, some carcinogenic.  LP should never be
used in a house without a hood exhausting POCs at all times.

Thus, wood burning - in the super-efficient rocket stove - is a
better choice for ecological and economical living.  (This is in
sharp contrast with the burning of wood in fireplaces, open pit
cooking, and old, non-efficient wood stoves.  Wherever you see smoke,
there is air contamination happening, from low efficiency burning.)

More info is available in the rocket stove book - well researched by
Ianto Evans, one of the inventors of the rocket stove, for use in
Third World countries... click here for info:  http://
www.rocketstoves.com

Sincerely,
Ocean Liff-Anderson