[Cob] Rocket Stove Workshop

Ron Becker ron45 at tularosa.net
Thu Sep 27 14:49:18 CDT 2007

In alternative building one can incounter times when commercially
available stuff just doesn't suit our needs. That's part of the whole
point....isn't it?

Take glazing insulation. We have 7  thermopane 46x76 PDR's in southern
wall of our main living space. Its in a curved wall and the uprights
between the galzing is whole ponderosa and spruce tree trunks. The
probably average 12 inches in diameter. They are, gloriously, anything
but smooth. This presents a challange when thinking of insulating the
glazing at nite in the winter. We solved it with bubble pack in four
foot wide rolls. There is a piece of half inch pvc filled with sand on
the bottom to give enough weight to roll up properly. We just use heavy
string and small pulleys like in bamboo curtains.  This was initally a
repulsive idea for us....eeeeewwwww plastic!! We were going to cover it
with some nice fabric. But after getting them up on a trial basis we
imeadiatly saw that on  cold cloudy days we were still getting tons of
light thru them. And in about 2 hours looking at it was no longr a
problem. We used one inch bubbles but I think two layers of half inch
bubbles has a better r  value because of all the air traped in the
diamond shaped spaces created between the bubbles of each sheet. This
is the thinnest part of the plastic and has no value at all. Still with
the single one inch sheets you can feel the difference when it's in
place. We don't cover the center window so I notice this every day
summer and winter. In summer we have it down durning hot times when the
sun is going up in spring or comming down in the fall.

How have some of you cob DIYers dealt with this situation?

Ron
Living and playing outside the box.