[Cob] help with cob oven

Maggie Henry maggie.henry at gmail.com
Tue May 6 09:01:11 CDT 2008

More info: Last August I saw an Alan Scott brick oven and fell in love. No
way do I have the skill or money for that. Came across cob ovens and said
HhMMMMM, this is doable. I have gotten every book (at least 15) from the
library that has had ANYTHING to do with building with earth. I really like
the Quebec oven style. Then I found the sunset oven and it seemed the
easiest yet with using the 1/2 barrel for the form. I didn't realize (as in
I didn't read the materials list) that the "adobe" was different than the
"cob". Now I have even more questions...which is better or what are the
advantages of one over the other?

 I also have a really old fashioned cement mixer...can I use that for mixing
up the straw and clay?

As far as design goes, it doesn't get any better than this IMHO
http://www.mudgirls.ca/noflash_Site/choice2.html

So can I really do this? Anyone really close to NW PA? ;-)

Maggie