[Cob] Speaking of free waste materials, might these work?

Lisa Story lstory at rcn.com
Tue May 27 14:45:15 CDT 2008

Hi, all!

I'm new to this list and new to cob building but excited to get
started on my first project (simple garden walls...then planning to
move on to an earth oven, tool shed, meditation studio....).

I'm mindful of the benefits of building with locally available
materials, but here in the Texas panhandle only the clay is really
local.

But I found this possible alternative for sand--which is really a
sand derivative: our local recycling center grinds and semi-polishes
glass in two sizes, "sand" and "pea". It's polished just enough to be
safe but still has some sharpish edges (i.e., not polished to the
point of sea glass smoothness). The sand size is like a coarse
utility sand but has a wider range of texture, from very small
dustlike particles to peppercorn size. The pea size is more like
gravel. Both are a lovely eye-catching mixture of clear, green, blue,
and brown glass that I think would be gorgeous in a raw cob wall--
and, of course, best of all, it's just a couple of miles away and
FREE! Anyone here ever tried this in place of sand or willing to
weigh in on the advisability of doing so?

Second, straw...about the only thing grown in this area is cotton!
Cotton waste (organic, even) would be easy to come by in fall--has
anybody ever tried using this? Another possibility that's not
terribly local but not too distant is loblolly pine straw, but I'm
doubtful that this would have sufficient tensile strength. Hand-
Sculpted House advises against alfalfa, I know, and we have more
timothy around here, anyway, but I don't know if there's even such a
thing as timothy straw or, if so, whether it would be usable?

I'm grateful for any opinions and advice on these materials or other
relatively local alternatives I may be overlooking. Would also love
to know if anyone here is building with cob in the TX/OK panhandles,
extreme southeastern CO, or northeastern New Mexico--am looking to
gain experience and glad to volunteer on any local/semi-local projects.

Thanks,
Lisa