[Cob] cob vs adobe

Leslie Moyer Unschooler at atlasok.com
Sun Jun 29 16:47:33 CDT 2008

Part of what gives cob its strength is it's monolithic form, with straw
from one cob "knitting" into the straw from another cob...as well as the
clay platelets aligning with one another and becoming monolithic.  When
you use adobe bricks, you lose both of these benefits.  Adobe has
compressive strength, but very little tensile strength bridging from one
adobe to another.  Basically, I think you would be losing one
dis-advantage (cracking) but gaining a couple others.  Besides, with
cob, the inside of your oven will be round-ish--domed on the inside.
This, too, gives it strength.  Once you put rectangular adobe blocks in
there, you lose not only some oven efficiency, but also some of the
integrity of your structure.

Cracking just isn't that big a deal.  If you build it properly
(especially using appropriate amounts of clay & sand & straw), a crack
will rarely affect the function or integrity of the oven.  And if it
does, you just slap some more mud onto it.

Someone asked about buying pre-made adobe bricks. I don't know for sure
where you can buy them except that they're more readily available in New
Mexico, U.S. and Mexico, where adobe is a traditional building material.
Other than that, I don't imagine they're readily obtainable.

--Leslie