[Cob] Garden wall foundation

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 00:01:23 CDT 2008

I do not have experience with this problem, I am only writing from the reading I have done.
You might wish to contact an architect or do an internet search to see what the frost depth is in your neighborhood. there exists a think called "frost heave" which might ruin the wall in a few years, if the foundation doesn't extend below the frost line depth. I believe Portland OR has a depth 14 inches  in the lower elevation areas which might be extended deeper if there were a longer than normal period of colder than normal temps.
That is why I would consider building the foundation as deep as 18". A 2 story house can some times have a foundation less than 14" deep accept for the possibility of frost heave if built in portland, so I would assume that your house has an 18" deep foundation partly because of frost.