[Cob] cobbing a metal stove

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 14:32:22 CST 2008

How do you handle the problem of cracks in the cob, due to the metal
wood stove expanding/contracting more than the cob?
 The result is excellent in
terms of thermal performance, but there are some unsightly cracks in the
cob. Not serious but annoying.

Robert
++++++++++++++++

This will be my first winter with a cobbed edge on the stove -- so I
can't say yet.. I am just now preparing the stove. I could also use a
very high lime -clay mix and see if it just converts back to limestone
and stays put without cracking.. I cant say yet.  thanks for the
warning-- I will alter my recipe  and I htink I will use  a rolled
tube of wire mesh to hold the cob 1/2 inch from the face of the metal
itself, possibly the heat dispersion will not  affect the cob as hotly
if not in direct contact?  we shall see.

--
Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
 707-441-1632