[Cob] cobbing a metal stove

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Sun Nov 23 17:39:32 CST 2008

Could you make a 'underlayer' of cob mixed with vermiculite or perlite? Then
finish with a layer of regular cob or plaster?

Perlite is used for firestop plasters using Portland cement. You'd have to
experiment with your mix. Perlite breaks down when you crush it. In the
following Wikipedia entry, they show a mix that just looks like powder, but
perlite is normally puffy, like little pieces of popcorn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortar_(firestop)