[Cob] Janet-windows, doors, thick walls

john fordice otherfish at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 21:33:23 CST 2008

Janet,
Just picked up on this thread.
Here follows something I posted previously regarding R value of a 2'
thick cob wall.
The value of R1 for every inch of cob is specious according to this
analysis.
Hope this helps.
john fordice

Here is a reply I received some time ago from Robin Clarke, a
Senior Experimental Scientist regarding R value of cob.  It seems pretty
through, although I'm not a scientist.  It starts out in metric, but
finally
gets to US units towards the end.  The upshot is a cob wall 2' thick
would
have an R value of 4.3.  Reading his reply is seems that this is not a
linear value tho because there are exterior & interior surface
coefficients
that I belive are constant regardless of the wall thickness.  If you
play
with the numbers you should be able to figure out thr R value of
whatever
wall you are considering.

I've attached also my origonal question to Mr. Clarke to give you a
bit of
context.  Hope this helps.
john fordice
Robin Clarke wrote:
John

I am not familiar with cob technique, except for a quick Google
browse that
I have just done.  Presumably walls made in this way have a density
that is
around rammed earth and mud bricks, possible somewhere between the
two.  I
suspect that the fraction of straw is relatively small and that there is
some "ramming" of each layer.

Speaking metrically (SI units), all the work that we have done
confirms the
fact that mud bricks have a thermal conductivity of about 0.8 to 1.2
W/m.K
typically and that rammed earth is more-typically 1.0 to 1.5 W/m.K.

The press release that you may have seen on the web was for 200 mm but
things I said were for a proposed 300 mm thickness.  You also need to be
careful whether you are talking about overall R value or just the R
value of
the wall.  Uninsulated earth walls have such a low R that the surface
coefficients are a big part of the overall R.

It is easier to ignore this press release and just go back to the basic
numbers.  Looking at the values I proposed above, you could consider
that
the thermal conductivity of the cob construction might be about 1.0 W/
m.K
typically.  I defer to anyone who has better knowledge that this, but I
would expect that this value would certainly be within the normal
range at
least, perhaps a bit on the optimistic side.

Such a conductivity makes maths easy.  R = t/k, for t being thickness in
metres.  So if k is 1 then R = t.  Thus a 2 foot (0.6 m) wall has an
R of
0.6.  It is usual to presume surface coefficients of about 0.11 for
inside
and 0.04 for outside, giving a total of 0.15.  Therefore the
hypothetical
wall has an overall R of 0.75.

The conversion factor to imperial R is 5.678.  Thus in imperial
speak, this
2 ft wall has an overall R of 4.3.  This is not all that great,
especially
when you note that the presumed conductivity was on the optimistic side.

As the article suggests, I am not a fan of uninsulated high mass
construction for climates that are not mild.  Southern California is of
course rather mild.  In mild climates, low R is not so important and
high
mass can have a good stabilising effect.  I would not expect this
type of
construction to lead to low energy consumption for houses in the Seattle
area.

The significance or otherwise of R and mass is easily investigated by
one of
the many building thermal modelling programs that are available.  These
demonstrate the value of mass and the value of R for any proposed
hypothetical construction in any climate.  There are some Australian
programs, but many American programs as well.

What has been debated here is the possibility that these modelling
programs
are somehow incorrect and that there exists some mysterious effect that
makes the energy consumption of low R, high mass houses less than the
programs predict.  I suspect that there are other reasons to explain the
anecdotal "evidence", as there is for the anecdotal evidence of
"insulating
paints" and other such things.

"Standard Design Tables" is a euphemism for the content (and including
tables) of the ASHRAE handbooks, plus the Australian (AIRAH) and British
(CIBSE) equivalents, containing significant differences in content and
emphasis.  We use hard copies of all 3.  I am not aware of how much
similar
material is available on the web but the handbooks are part of the IP of
these organizations and I would expect that they are not given away for
free.

Regards

Robin

Robin Clarke
Senior Experimental Scientist - Thermal Engineering Project
CSIRO Manufacturing & Infrastructure Technology
PO Box 56   Highett  Victoria  3190
Tel:  +61 3 9252 6044    Fax:  +61 3 9252 6251
Email:  Robin.Clarke at csiro.au
Web:  http://www.cmit.csiro.au