[Cob] Iron in cob

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Mon Apr 20 18:13:56 CDT 2009

Hi,

Does anyone have data on the long-term performance of iron inside a cob
wall? The first floor beams of our 2-storey hybrid straw-bale/cob house
are supported on iron brackets which, unless I do something else with
them, will end up set into the cob. It would be nice to know that they
won't rust away in 50 years leaving the first floor to collapse. I have
read that wood tends to be preserved inside a dry cob wall, but what
about iron? Pouring a concrete block around each iron bracket, as
suggested by a friend, sounds like an overkill solution, but I might
just do it in the absence of really convincing evidence that the
brackets won't rust.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert
www.abrazohouse.org