[Cob] Stone Haven

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:46:44 CST 2010

Hi Scott,
Thank you for thinking of me and what I'll need to build this home.
Sometimes I forget what it means to me because the focus is so much on
what this will mean to others and their way of life.

I so much want to share that message. I think the battle is already won
for us and we have simply to implement the tools at hand to make this
way of life soar.

In spite of voices to the contrary, our current adobe code works very
well if "we" step out of the box and simply relate to Building
Departments that it is simply monolithic adobe and show them their own
code on adobe.

Then we have the "green" building drive and the Governments desire to
eliminate the carbon footprints on the planet.

Personally I think it would take one person with sight and verbal skills
to tie all this together in front of Congress and the Senate to
facilitate a National precedence for States to follow.

I welcome your input and would love to coordinate your time here with
the time given by the kids from the Center and the older group.

This will go into the paper here so would also like to time it so you
are here when it goes to press?

This can all be by your schedule. I want to get the foundation in place
and make sure the bags, wire, barbed wire and straw are all here before
you arrive so am looking at probably July or August which would also get
us well out of the rainy seasons.

It sure would be nice to build a cob oven in the intended courtyard at
the same time. We will be building a cob fireplace according to Rumford
specs (the only difference is the fireplace will be shaped like the
traditional cob fireplace and there will be a commissioned frame with
tempered glass that the edges will be built to. The glass will have
vents and will also be removable as desired.) and I'll have a mason come
out to install the guts. I need to find everything used. I love recycling!!!

Two doors, about 14 large windows, any knobs for pull outs, etc are also
needed. Oh, even rain catchment metal roofing and water pipes could be
used as long as there are no rust spots.

I really need to cut and stack tree sections so they will dry evenly
without cracking. These need doing within the next two or three months
so they will have cured enough by July or August. It's white fir, which
the Civil Engineer already approved. I can't even begin to do this by
myself and there really should be several people here for that part of
the project.

This part is difficult as the snow level rises though it does seem as
though the snow will not be as overwhelming as usual this year.

I don't really have any place for anyone to sleep unless they wouldn't
mind my really rustic conditions! I'm really understating this.

Let me know what parts of this you would like to work with and I will be
grateful no matter what it is.