[Cob] psi testing

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Mon Sep 20 03:08:03 CDT 2010

	This type of testing makes perfect sense for concrete where you have
five yard batches and every part of a batch is identical to every
other part of a batch. Now try to apply this to cob where 100 pound
batches are being mixed up on tarps by crews that may add varying
amounts of straw, clay, sand and water, and this sort of test is
nonsense. But engineers love it! I was an engineer for 33 years and I
think it is comical when code people apply this type of thinking to
situations where it does not apply.
	I was able to increase the size of my batches and to make them much
more uniform by mixing on a concrete slab with a rototiller, but the
batches were wetter and not as strong as foot mixing and I had 3
inches of shrinkage over a ten foot height wall and proportionally
less on the tunnel-like structure described below (two 36 foot cinder
block walls with 4 foot of cob on top). Since my load bearing needs
are so low the conditions of use are more important. I figure that 24
hours of a water sprinkler would be sufficient to bring down an 8
inch thick wall, but this has everything to do with the thickness of
the wall and the surface treatment and nothing to do with the initial
psi strength of the material. A strong material that wicks water
would be more susceptible than a much weaker material that does not
wick water, but no one measures this. We just assume that no one will
place water sprinklers to throw water on to an earthen wall. I only
mention this because I once built a roofless children's playhouse in
a garden where it got many hours of watering each week and went
through hard wet winters with no protection. It lasted 12 years till
they tore it down and I think it might have lasted a lot longer but
they were nervous about kids climbing on the walls.
	If you give your roof a weight of 50 pounds per square foot (a
really heavy roof with a snow load) and divide that by the number of
square inches in your walls you will see that this 350 psi number is
designed to prevent earth building and has nothing to do with the
actual weight that the walls will support.

Ed