[Cob] Linseed oil sealant coat for the winter?

Barbara Roemer roemiller4 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 14:55:00 CST 2010

Leslie, you don't indicate where the wall is, which will impact people's
that wouldn't soak up linseed oil infinitely.... But, it is a decent sealant
against water.  Right after I apply the annual coat of linseed oil to my
bathroom floor, water just beads up on it.  That sealing property means that
if you apply oil to the wall now when it's already wet, you'll seal moisture
in, or at least make it much more difficult for the moisture to evaporate.
 If it were my wall, I'd construct a temporary roof - could just be some
support with a heavy- say 3 mil - plastic over it - for the winter.  To
avoid mold developing, the temporary roof or covering should not touch the
wall but stand above it slightly and extend low enough to protect the bottom
of the cob, but not encase the wall.  Anchor the plastic so it doesn't blow
up or off, but so some air still circulates.  Then let things dry completely
before you put on the linseed oil in the spring or summer.  Best of luck,

Barbara in the Sierra Foothills

From: Leslie Sanazaro <lesliesanazaro at hotmail.com>