[Cob] Joe Kennedy comments on biochar in earth ovens

Shawn King sbkingster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:37:06 CDT 2011

Hi Joseph, thanks for the feedback.  I am hoping some of these designs
will be helpful to others. I look forward to hearing more about your
project as it rolls along, and I appreciate your willingness to get
experimental with your current project.

As far as getting heat from the char making, since the biochar
canister is inside the oven, the heat from combustion of the pyrolysis
 gasses does go into heating the oven, it is not wasted.  I am certain
that there is a net heat benefit, as the amount of energy needed to
start and sustain the pyrolysis will be less than the total released
when the gasses burn.  This would be true if the canister is in any
combustion chamber.  The only loss is the volume for fuel displaced by
the canister in the oven chamber or firebox.  You can add the canister
when the fire is burning down to coals to avoid this issue.

My hope is that people who already have earthen oven or masonry
heater/mass heater can start making biochar, right away, no
alterations needed.  Twigs are poor fuel otherwise, so you get to make
use of this easy resource, and get the soil-amendment benefits of
biochar, and it is super fast and easy. Ideally, a separate chamber
would be better, I agree, and I intend to make a fired-cob mass heater
with a biochar component as part of the small cob house I am building
in Sacramento.  Much mad scientist activity in my near future, I
suspect :)