[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 9, Issue 81

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Wed Jun 29 11:10:03 CDT 2011

Jamie wrote: Will do excavation with a bobcat, we'll be mixing with a
small cement mixer

In my experience, even though a cement mixer seems like it'd work
well, it doesn't. I found the clay and sand mix really well but when
you put the straw in the straw just clumps together. I have also
mixed with a bobcat and found it is well worth having on site for
mixing and delivering to the wall. You could mix a batch and lift it
to the wall while someone stands on the wall and rakes it out, plus
you can use a drier mix, which means you can build higher in a day.
That is much more efficient and easy than a cement mixer where you
have to mix in the straw my hand or foot. The first time I used the
bobcat it took 15 minutes to mix close to 15 cubic feet with an
assistant who sprayed it with the hose and added straw. And I hadn't
used a bobcat for much of anything before that! So, if you're using
it for excavation treat yourself and use it for mixing too. You're
obviously not a purist or you wouldn't use the bobcat for excavation
anyway! Good luck, hope you keep us updated.

Damon in Georgia, USA