[Cob] Cob on a reciprocal roof

Matthew Caswell caswellrienzo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:30:24 CDT 2011

Hi,

        I'm building a cob house in the structure of a honeycomb
(hexagonal rooms) and for each room I was planning on having
individual roofs.  These roofs would be reciprocal, for the strength
(and ease of construction).  However, I do not plan on having
electricity in my home and am instead hoping to use cob oven(s),
torches, and the sun for light (reciprocal roofs have holes in the
middle so that would be my smoke hole).  I would be more comfortable
slapping cob on the roof frame (instead of wood) to help counter
possible roof burning scenarios.  Could cob stay on the roof while
drying, and would it survive the rain (I live in a rainy climate and
would probably have to attach wooden shingles)?

Thanks,
  Matt

--
"When I was little I would think of ways to kill my daddy."- Kaye
Gibbon's 'Ellen Foster'