[Cob] supporting a one ton tank

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Wed Jul 6 13:07:46 CDT 2011

I want to incorporate a water storage tank in the attic of my house
plans and use gravity fed water. I already have a 300 gallon tank
which sits on a 6 inch concrete slab now. I figured when it's full it
weighs 2,100 lbs. A cob wall cannot support that weight I think. So
what are your thoughts on how to install this tank up there? What
beam sizes for what spans? Is there info out there for this kind of
thing? I was thinking since the bathroom is usually smallest and most
in need of water, the tank could be supported by the bathroom and
closet walls. They probably couldn't be made out of cob though.
Feedback would be nice. Thanks, Damon in Georgia, USA