[Cob] Lava Rock

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Jul 19 20:00:24 CDT 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Janet Standeford wrote:

> Are you saying theirs is true R value?
>
> As for the energy model I know of, it passes muster with building officials
> as R value for my house.
>
> The point I am making is that .5 for regular cob is a pretty low guess on
> their part versus the nearly "1" I will be getting. So it doesn't appear that
> the pumice actually adds anything to the equation when theirs comes out to
> "1" with the pumice.
[snip]

Once again, effective r-value is NOT the same as actual r-value:

   http://www.deatech.com/pipermail/coblist/2011/013007.html

Janet's house has an "effective r-value" close to 1 per inch.  The actual
r-value for cob is generally below 0.4.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -