[Cob] temp

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sat Dec 24 23:38:51 CST 2011

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011, Glenna Elf wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Am stuck at work  and have a question that I know has been answered
> before.   But can't look it up while at work.  So the question
> is....what is the coldest you can still mix up cob ??     And tho it is
> winter time....would like to work on my cob bench on my days off.
> I'm in northwest Louisiana, so we don't get much really cold weather.
> I mean most Christmas Days I'll have a rose shrub blooming....that type
> of rare cold days.    But we do get freezing at times.

You can mix it as long as the water is still liquid (though your feet
might object if you do it barefoot at 33 deg. F.).  You can also apply it,
the only issue is that the cob doesn't freeze until the moisture content
has dropped far enough that it won't be damaged.  When it freezes, water
expands and if it is saturated with water it will expand and break
up the cob.  Once some drying has occurred, there will be small voids in
the cob which will allow the water to expand as it freezes without
damaging the cob.  Unfortunately, though I have done cob in freezing
weather many times, I don't know any easy way for you to tell what is dry
enough to be safe.  Generally, if the temperatures are going to drop just
to freezing, it is relatively easy to prevent the cob from freezing since
its thermal mass will resist freezing, and rigging a roof or tarp over the
cob with an air space in between is often sufficient.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -