[Cob] Cold weather cobbing

avjyoung at shaw.ca avjyoung at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 26 13:29:44 CST 2011

I am winter cobbing at the moment, doing the floor inside now the walls are
done. We mix a big load with, backhoe, then cover well with lots of tarps so
it doesn't freeze. This works if temps are around freezing, but a hard frost
would get it, especially if it stayed really cold for a long time. For the
cob that is already down, I keep a tub with water in the house. When that
gets really cold or starts to freeze, I fire up a little propane gas heater
for a bit. We are putting the woodstove in as well, so we can keep the house
warmer and help to dry the cob. I put extra straw in the mix during the
winter to balance the straw decay from the longer drying times. A couple of
years ago we had -6 temps for a month (unusual here in coastal BC), and the
cob that was done and drying got damaged with frost heave. It will need a
lot of clay slip and plastering to repair, so you need to plan to keep what
has been done already from freezing as well as the fresh cob,

Good luck, hope that helps,

Anna
Cob - bale timberframe in Victoria BC