[Cob] cob shake test info

dhowell at pickensprogressonline.com dhowell at pickensprogressonline.com
Thu May 17 13:52:51 CDT 2012

Ed,
	Understood about quality control. I must point out concrete mixes
from scratch in a wheelbarrow can also have vastly different
strengths according to the amount of water used. Adobe bricks? New
Mexico Earthen Building Materials code states, "each of the tests
prescribed in this section shall be applied to sample units selected
at random at a ratio of five units per twenty-five thousand bricks to
be used or at the discretion of the building official." Five out of
25,000 seems like a pretty unrepresentative number for the whole.
Quality control can be done by performing tests at the foundation,
sill height, and lintel height of the walls. Did you know the adobe
code allows a psi of 250 and one out of five can have a psi less than
that? We're talking about the same material just a different building
procedure. Their code is a good guideline, but some things are
questionable, such as it requires concrete stucco which is an
accident waiting to happen according to the Devon Earth Building
Association. A healthy topic that must be discussed, don't you think?
Damon