[Cob] Basalt Rebar

Rob Hayes editable7 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 15:21:28 CDT 2012

With rebar made from basalt there's no problem with rusting and the coefficient of
contraction/expansion is similar to masonry so it could prove ideal for those bond beams.
It's light too, maybe some "alpha builders" have had some experiences to share?
I'm thinking of those future 400 year lifespan bridges or thin shell roofing which contain basalt rebar and reinforcements unaffected by alkali, salt and moisture even in marine environments.  Is this going to be the perfect rebar?  The basalt mesh substituted for steel EWL could even be somewhat exposed in finish plastering without being compromised by rust - allowing thinner coverage or skill levels, suitable for water harvesting roofs and without iron contamination.  Lightweight and larger overhangs might be more likely.  Tie those designed planters and other stuff to the basalt wall elements too without compromising them to unsightly corrosion failures?  Lighter boat hulls?  Boggles the imagination.

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/basalt-fiber-rebar
http://www.monolithic.com/stories/basalt-fiber-rebar/photos
http://www.basalt-rebar.com/
for example: