[Cob] rotavator cob

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Tue Mar 5 02:38:25 CST 2013

On the topic of rotavator (rototiller) cob. We mixed nearly all the cob
for our 2-story, 2000-square foot cob/straw bale house and study centre
(www.abrazohouse.org) with a rotavator. We had tried a cement mixer, but
found the cob to be much too lumpy and wet -- the roto-cob was just fine.

We were a bit experimental with the mix -- instead of using just
clay-sand-straw we substituted wood shavings for 50% of the sand to try
and get a better insulating wall. The wall is still standing up, and our
house stayed warm enough this winter with just a woodstove for heating
and hot water... so I guess it must have worked!

I really can't imagine us ever getting the house finished without using
machines for mixing cob (we also used a cement mixer for the plaster and
the floor screed, etc.). Of course you could make the point that our
house is too big anyhow, I wouldn't argue with you! But if we had done
all that with volunteers, the embodied fossil energy in the food they
ate would be many times greater than the amount of fuel we used in the
rotavator.

Here's a picture of mixing the cob subfloor with the rotavator in situ
(inside the house).
http://www.abrazohouse.org/?page_id=56&g2_itemId=1931&g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

Glorious mud!

Robert