[Cob] Making lime

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Mon Jun 2 20:17:42 CDT 2014

	The type of paper shredder does not matter. I like shredded government documents because most are printed on bright white paper. This means that if you buy white clay from a pottery supply store you can color the plaster. If you red or brown clay the paper does not change the color of your plaster.
	I put the paper in a cut-in-half 55 gallon plastic barrel. You can usually get such barrels free from a local car wash. They are not allowed to reuse them but some will try to charge you $10. Get the bungs with the barrels so you can use both half barrels. I then add water to the shredded paper and walk on it pushing the paper to the bottom of the barrel. I then rip the paper up off the bottom of the barrel and walk on it again. Repeat these steps and your feet will begin to pass through the paper to the bottom of the barrel. You have created paper pulp. I have also done this with un-shredded paper. It takes longer. When making really big batches I put the paper in a shallow ditch, cover it with water for a day or two and run a rototiller through it. I have also used a 1/2 inch drill and a drywall mud mixing tool in the barrel or a paint mixer and a 1/4 inch paint mixer in a drywall bucket, or for really small batches I have pulped paper in my blender and mixed in clay and sand with my hands. This last system you need to dewater the pulp by dumping it on a screen and bouncing it up and down on the screen.
	Once I have a good batch of paper pulp I mix in first clay and then sand. Since every part of the earth differs from every other part of the earth, I can not give you a recipe. You will have to experiment to find the best mix, but usually one part pulp (dewatered by bouncing it on a screen), one part dry clay (by volume) and one part sand (also by volume) works. Adjust the water content to make it spreadable.
	Trowel it on. Let it dry for a while and trowel it again.  If you really want it perfect spry water on it the next day and trowel it again. Let it dry and paint it with lime and water. This will give you a smooth flat surface. If you want a glossy surface you can put it on thick and trowel it as it dries. If you trowel the lime paint to get the gloss surface you may need to let the first coat harden completely and do a second coat because the first coat tends to pick up mud and discolor the lime paint. Still you end up using very little lime and end up with a much smoother finished product with out the skill required to use lime putty.
	Note: For very complex curved surfaces, you might want to buy a 5 gallon bucked of joint compound and put it on over the paper plaster with a flexible trowel made from the lid of a yogurt tub. Then after the joint compound had dried, use sandpaper to get a perfect finish and then paint  it with lime. Lime putty and plaster with paper or sand can not be sanded. Some times the best way to get a complex curve is to just put on a thin coat and sand it smooth. The joint compound costs around $6.
	I have lots of photo-essays on the subject and, I can send you pictures of anything you don't understand but, I think you can pretty much get the idea from the description above and I can only send such essays and pictures to individuals who request them separate from the coblist..

Ed