[Cob] bee wax on the earthfloor

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Mon Apr 4 11:28:40 CDT 2016

I mixed my beeswax heavily with a warmed (stinky) solvent, so the bees wouldn't like it. You are not using much beeswax, and it isn't concentrated enough for them to extract it...I think. It will smell for several weeks. I used orange oil as a solvent, but linseed oil worked well too.
Here's a hint: Mix your floor mix very dry. Pour it on dry, level it and then mist it with a light spray and then smooth the surface. Otherwise the floor can take a month or more to dry. After it is dry, do the top finishing. Finishing will take less time when the floor below it is dry. It can be a problem if you trap moisture in your floor with a sealing coat.
I used blood meal with dark red clay in my finish layer, to get an oxblood look.  I also had finely chopped straw in my finish. Because my underfloor was still too moist, I got a lot of nasty smells from the organic matter in my mix. The floor turned out fine, but the house smelled dank for a whole season.
Good luck!