[Cob] curved roof gutters

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu May 21 16:46:17 CDT 2020

[snip]
> roof. I know it’s not proper, but I’m going to make the roof square (yes, on
> a circular building) so I can attach a good gutter to it. I like the look of
> a round roof much better, but I just don’t see a good way to attach a
> gutter. If anyone knows a way besides a drain pipe, let me know.

Hi Damon,

I'm not sure what you mean by "besides drain pipe", however, I know of two
ways that I have seen used which would work for a circular roof:

   - I have seen flexible PVC pipe split length-wise and the halves connected
     end-to-end (using standard PVC glue) to make rain gutters. The limitation
     of this approach is that the larger the gutters you need, the larger the
     diameter of the PVC and the less flexible the pipe will be, making it
     more difficult to attach.

   - Some roof designs actually capture the water by creating a raised edge
     or wall around the roof, then putting drains periodically around the edges
     of the roof. These drains can either go through the bottom of the roof or
     through the raised edge/wall and can be used to route the water where
     you need it to go.

You might also look online for curved gutter systems, a quick google came up
with a number of results. Higher end conventional housing often have parts of
their roofs curved. "radius gutters" showed up for a number of the google
results. You might also look for curved seamless gutters as seamless gutters
are often made on site with a special machine that just feeds in a big roll of
aluminum (or possibly other metals) and shapes it into a gutter as it feeds
through. I don't know if the machines are designed to do curved but it is
probably worth checking.

FWIW.

Shannon C. Dealy               |       DeaTech Research Inc.
dealy at deatech.com              | Biotechnology Development Services
Telephone USA: +1 541-929-4089 |      USA and the Netherlands
Netherlands:   +31 85 208 5570 |          www.deatech.com