Cob: cob & Enertia, best states for cob, permaculture!

Brent Flaco Wilson realm_fitness at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 7 22:17:43 CST 2003

HI.  I would like to add to the solar issue regarding the northwest!  It
surprised me the other day when I visited a farm called mountain home in
coquilled oregon (www.organicvolunteers.com).  The "farm" is set into the
coast range of oregon on the west edge of the state.  The family has a huge
solar set up 16 panels with eight batteries, and it provides all the
electricity for up to 15 residents or so, and the only occasionally need
back up in january!  Thats impressive for the northwest!  The northwest also
offers a unique environment for permaculture, and I am personally leaning
towards "food forestation" combining  permaculture, organic gardening, agro
forestry, wild land, and a host of other appropriate ways of being!  The
northwest is great!  THanks flaco

>From: "Jill" <writejill1 at cox.net>
>To: <coblist at deatech.com>
>Subject: Cob: cob & Enertia, best states for cob, permaculture!
>Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 07:43:13 -0800
>
>Is it possible to utilize cob building with the Enertia building system?
>(definition pasted below)
>
>In the Enertia® Building System, solid Energy-Engineered(tm) wood walls
>replace siding, framing, insulation, and paneling. An air flow and access
>channel, or Envelope, runs around the building, just inside the walls -
>creating a miniature biosphere. Here solar heated air circulates, pumping
>and boosting geothermal energy from beneath the house, storing it in the
>massive wood walls. Thermal inertia causes the house to "float" between the
>cycles of night and day, and even between the
>seasons.http://www.enertia.com/science.htm?
>
>We are lucky to own a business that allows us to live virtually anywhere.
>So, we wonder, what area of the county has the best situation for cob
>building, soil, water collection and solar energy. Is there a particular
>set of states?
>We are reading about solar power and realize that the sunbelt states are
>highest, with the NE and NW being the lowest. However, after reading the
>post about someone's ground being stone under the first layer of dirt... we
>realized there is much more to consider - soil! Any suggestions?
>
>Lastly, how many of you successful sustainable housing families, also
>incorporate alternative energy, permaculture or mini-farming? What other
>activities do you utilize?
>
>Thank you!
>-Jill (married 15 years, with four kids ages 2 to just turning 14, two
>dogs. We have changed our lifestyle in various ways, and feel we are
>prepared for this ultimate change!)
HI