Cob: slip formed walls

Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Fri Jan 17 16:47:14 CST 2003

the method described was not exactly right.

with slip form stone some precision is needed.  bottomless wall
formworks are made of wood,  then stones are placed  facing best side
out (to outdoors) and IN if to be facing interior, then a cement mix is
poured in  the middle and left to set, then the forms removed and moved
up and repeated, this is very heavy work depending on rocks used, and
mistake happen but you don't see them till after the forms come off.

Making a flat poured wall of whatever materials, even conventional, then
facing it with  stones that are sliced in half, or flatish, or heaven
forbid those phony "rocks" that my bank used, can be just mortared on. (
of course you can cast your own "tufa stone " rocks as needed for
special fit too)

The video Art of Slipform Stone Masonry shows a way to make the walls
against a  INSULATED wall as the inside form, and so walls are built
from the outside view only. they sheet rocked the inside, but other
options are there too for clever folks.

IN any case the old book by the Schwenke on Build a Stone house is not
longer in print, Ken Kerns Stone Masonry is  good  for some wall build
info, and "Living Homes" gives the same stone wall info as the video
mentioned.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com

ya know I wanted to comment that with all the complaining about "get
back to cob discussion" I find I see/ or receive very little feedback on
 topics such as tractor cob or turtle cob or even stone use...are folks
just reading and not participating???