Cob: RE: RE:cob in OH

Chuck & Linda clearned at bminet.com
Mon Jan 20 22:32:11 CST 2003

Ric,

I wish you well, what you are suggesting doing if you don't incorporate a
bunch of insulation is violating codes. Those codes can sometimes be ignored
for good reasons and others are there for good reasons. For example in
Wisconsin now you need to have a minimum of R19 or 20 in the walls and more
in the ceilings. This makes alot of sense. You were rather vague in your
response about how you are handeling it but I don't really see the point of
not incorporating as much insulation as possible. I am building my home
right now, it will have R30plus insulation in the walls(strawbale) and
perhaps twice that in the roof and R30 in the floor. It takes so much time,
energy, effort to build these sweet homes regardless of whether its Cob or
Strawbale or Woodchips and clay. Most of the environmental impact is not in
the building system as it is in the ongoing heating and cooling needs of the
home. The initial materials embodied energy is a tiny percentage of the
houses total use. So I say, since you have to do a ton of work, build the
absolute highest performing house that you can afford, and cob alone as a a
complete exterior wall system would never be it in OH. Perhaps as a trombe
wall, earthen floor, earthen plaster, heat storage systems or as others have
said cob with a bunch of insulation attached but not cob alone.

I have been in dozens of natural homes,  even straw clay is not a wise
decision in this climate or even slightly warmer. I was in a beautiful
strawclay structure built by Robert Laporte just down the road. The owner
loves its feel and beauty but she said its cold and she would not do it
again. Its very small with little space to heat and well detailed.
I sense a stubborness in you regarding this that you may want to examine,
when you get too attached to a specific material or method... Yes you can do
it, sure, I am surrounded by beautiful stone homes and most of them are damm
cold and uncomfortable unless they have incorporated a bunch of insulation.

Trying to stay warm in Wisconsin,

Chuck