Cob: pipes under the floor

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Jan 28 21:00:31 CST 2003

I've seen the pipes embedded in a rammed earthen floor
(clay-gravel-sandy soil + lime).   Also I know that Koreans in their
very cold climates do this as well and have been for probably hundreds
of years.  At the temperatures you are talking about cob should do
well.  I'd still tamp it down and under the pipes and knock out all
air.   People use cob to enclose pipes for heating benches as well.  So
there is precedence in its viability.

Darel