Cob: granite tile

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 21:48:51 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  the thought was to practice on a small 12' space for my cats first and just use a clay oil mix that was outlined in Becky Bees book, putting the granite on top without anything but the cob between, then see how well it holds up.  If it fails it won't be to difficult, I hope to pick up the floor and rethink it.  The heat tubes will be under the cob floor and will not be disturbed by a redo.  I have made several experiments with the clay on my land and found that when I worked it much like one would when making ceramic sculpture it becomes so dense that it doesn't crack.  If this will work with an entire floor or not remains to be seen?  It's sure that my sub floor is going to have to be very solid to make it work.  The whole thing is going in below frost line, so I hope movement will be next to nothing!  The heat in the pipes will have to be considered but since it will be dispersed over the whole floor at about the same temperature every thing, in theory should move at the same time.  Hmmmmm?  may have to think about air exhaust, and what a cold wall is going to be doing???  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat<BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Frances Grill" <GRILL at VTC.NET>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Frances Grill" <GRILL at VTC.NET>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: "Cob List" <COBLIST at DEATECH.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: granite tile
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:47:25 -0500
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Having laid a tile floor or two, I was curious how you are going to attach the granite? If a cob wall cracks you can plaster over. What will happen to this granite floor if the cob settles ? Can it be set in cob with mud or what are you setting the tile with? What will you grout it with ? Can strawless cob be used or will it crack even as commercial cementacious grouts do occasionally? Sounds pretty and ...warm in the winter> Good Luck . Curious Pedro
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>