Cob:

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 18:04:47 CST 2003

In the Nashville area there is a round straw-bale chapel.  It has a round
grain bin roof.  It was insulated, as I recall, by putting bags of straw
above the ceiling, and it did have a ceiling.

Higher tech than that, and sprayable, is Icynene.  It's supposed to be
pretty green.
http://www.icynene.com/index.asp

I used to know where there was a picture of the chapel on-line. Someone said
it looked remarkably like a squat mushroom.  Cute, and nice inside.
Unfortunately a) the ISP went out of business and b) the owner of the web
site is currently completely off line.

Terry mentions (snipped)

my wife and i are going to use a metal grain ben roof, they go up to 40 feet
around.  But our cabin is circular. I read about this on another web site
where they were trying to build sustainable inexpensive housing for a Native
American group in Canada. We are not sure how we are going to insulate
though.  The sandwich board sounds good but what about the outgasing from
the foam and the OSB.  Terry