Cob: RE: Cob In The South

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 21:08:38 CST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here, I don't think anything eats clay?  We have some wasps here that use it for their nests but it has to be wet for them to collect it I think?  Termites don't climb for some reason beyond a few feet so it would be unlikely that they would get to your roof timbers.  It may be good to study the habits of termites in the area that you will be building in and see how to foil the little critters!  Around here the folks cut any trees around the house that are dieing and would invite guests.  I add my own twist by letting dead trees stand in the woods away from my house so that the wood peckers stay around  doing their thing.  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>What is it your wife has?  Possibly you could get her doctor to script a special circumstances for the situation.  I have read that some people with severe allergic reactions to chemicals have done this.  In the case of mattresses at one time they all had to have fire retardants, now the law has changed so that organic mattresses can be sold without a doctors script.  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat<BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "George Marks" <MARKSG at GILPIN.K12.CO.US>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "George Marks" <MARKSG at GILPIN.K12.CO.US>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: <COBLIST at DEATECH.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob: RE: Cob In The South
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:01:42 -0700
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Patrick,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I lived in Georia and was a conventional builder for a few years. My wife
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>suffers from MCS and we are in Colorado right now. We would love to move
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>back to Georgia and build a cob home, so we can be nearer to family.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>How did you deal with building inspections and termites? We used Centricon
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>to protect the conventional house we were in. Of course that was to satisfy
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the bank. We hope to side-step a loan thistime. So, while it may not be
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>required, I still feel that termites are a concern.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Like to hear your thoughts. Thanks
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>