Cob: Re: horse hair

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:48:29 CST 2003

One of the things one really doesn't want loose in a wall cavity, or between
the ceiling joists is a flammable substance.  Even more than edibles, I'd
expect.  Wool (does it need at least some washing for this, get some of the
lanolin--oil--out?) is considered pretty fireproof, so it's used in
mattresses, as Cat points out, as well as fireplace rugs.  Maybe the same
with the rest of those.

NOT dryer lint--we are urged to clean out the path of hot air exhaust from
our dryers fairly often (don't know if I know anyone who DOES it), to
prevent cotton dust from catching fire.

And I'd guess not corncobs either.

Unless they were seriously treated with something on the order of boric
acid.

And I'd have quoted if my computer hadn't erased the message from the reply
page.

Cat was talking about corncobs as feed, wool as good insulation--and that
one of her neighbors sold it right off the sheep. Dog, cat, horse, and maybe
even human hair as well could be bagged and used.  How about dryer lint?