Cob: Wood stove in cob wall?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu May 15 19:51:11 CDT 2003

Got the masonry heater link opening now.  Thanks.

I've got lime (only one of the neighboring counties' farmer's coops have it)
soaking in an olive barrel to use with your paper/lime Chinese recipe for
chinking on the vertical log room we're building at the end of a pole barn.
If I can I'll take it all the way out to a semi-flush wall on the inside,
may have enough overhang to use mostly just that on the outside as well.
got time to soak it because we're using green wood (the carpenter is making
berry baskets out of the poplar bark that he was able to get off complete
circles almost seven feet long, so you know it's sap rising green wood)

Ms Taylor wrote:
After all a masonry stove is all clay-stone to absorb the heat..so why can't
a metal heater had cob up against it to absorb heat too ( keeping all vents
open etc) prolly voids any warrant;  but having a heater in the center of
the circle heating all  directions is what Rob Roy's cordwood house has. and
many  masonry-combo bread oven stoves are in the center between the kitchen
and the LR with bake oven on one side and heat to LR on the other.

I'd look at all the info at:  http://www.mha-net.org/  The Masonry Heater
Association of North America   Extensive online library on masonry heating
and   sustainable construction, great articles   and contact stove builder
Norbert Snef ( at that site)