Cob: Mold in Home

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Fri Jun 6 00:59:57 CDT 2003

YQ,
    it's certainly worth a try. Deciding on a percentage would be an
interesting study.   Sorry to hear about the mushrooms though, I guess
they weren't the eating kind.....    From my limited knowledge of making
naturally fermented pickles, bacon, ham, and  sauerkraut, etc.,  I
usually use a 2.5% salt by weight, to keep out bad micro-organisms.
 Lacto Bacillus, the good guys can still live there and produce lactic
acid, that good sour taste.   I would for some reason, recommend using a
more natural salt for testing and not the ultra processed table salt
stuff American's think of as salt, like mortens, etc.       People near
the ocean, could scoop out water, evaporate half the water off  and have
about a 6% salt content solution then (evaporate all the water and you
have corns of salt left and can make corned beef)..

Unfortunately I don't know what effect salts would have on clays
chemical/mechanical bonds.   Good idea and worth looking into, in my
opinion.

Note, however that I don't think that mold is a problem for cob
buildings built sensibly.   In some cases like a humid bath room it
might be useful.

Darel