Cob: Questions about wool- air gap venting in roof

David Atmoweg vesuviusbobo at email.com
Wed Jun 11 14:11:37 CDT 2003

It's always nice to make someone's day.

In my (again, vey limited) experience, I would guess that cardboard
would stand a good chance of functionig well under those
circumstances, sine one of wool's ninety-three great qualities is
that it absorbs, retains and slowly evaporates moisture, so the risk
that cardboard would waterlog and fail would seem to be reduced.
The caveat is that if you wash the wool well, it'll lose some of its
inherent pest-resistance.  But our borate-treated stuff seems to be
doing fine, and we have no shortage of moth and mouse activity in
our gappy old cabin.
I neglected to mention earlier, by the way, that we're also using
wool in our bathroom insulation, for the above reason, instead of
light-clay.  Furthermore, when we replace our old wood stove this
year, we're putting wool behind our new fire wall, since it doesn't
burn, and I would think that might balance some fire risk
associated with cardboarding your ceiling.

-d.

---
> WOW David, you made my day...I keep looking a this huge bag of
dirty fleece I have with the  slowly receding "odaire'du ewe"  and
see no moths, etc and am happy to report even the field mice
aren't stealing bits of it!

> So If I get around to washing it I would love to use it in the ceiling
of my studio...one caveat, I am aware there must be an airgap
between the insulation (of any type) and the underside of the roof
ceiling..I  Journal of Light Construciton saw some "baffles" of
material that let  about 1/2" to 1" of space remain, ensuring
ventilation.

> I was wondering if simple  sturdy cardboard  could be bent at
edges to allow the same venting? then stapled to the rafter sides,
etc. My other idea was rolled/bunched up netting that would take up
some "space" buffering the insualtion from touching the roof
underside, but allow air thru.  Any opinions?

tms at northcoast.com

ps - please note the new, improved, but rather prosaic new email
address:
         daupo at localnet.com

--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup