Cob: Questions about wool- air gap venting in roof

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 15:51:01 CDT 2003

The store-boughten air gap venting is really cheap at the Lowe's Home Depot
type place.  It's some kind of foam--like the foam egg-cartons.  Seems like
it comes in 24 (on center) type pieces.

And corrugated (or most any metal) roofing--without the foam closures
especially at the top --might work perfectly nicely if that's what you were
planning to use, that is, without anything other than any kind of layer, or
even just the purlins keeping the insulation down low enough so there's
enough of an air gap.

Mark Piepkorn's site has pictures of an Ondura roof, he says that the owner
loves it.  We used it for the treehouse--my tenant/carpenter swears that it
still smells like the asphalt impregnated paper it is.  But what else could
we have wanted to use at least a tenth of a mile--down and then up up-hill
away from the driveway, on a trapezoidal roof?  And it comes in a nice red,
is seriously corrugated, lightweight enough to float so that the trees can
move without tearing everything apart.