Cob: cob-mix/pond

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 5 08:37:34 CDT 2003

<DIV>
<DIV>Cat here, What was said at a cobbing about adding the straw after mixing the sand,clay and water was that the straw stiffens and dries the mix making it firm enough to add to the wall.  I have only done it this way and it was successful.  Also the properties of clay lend themselves to being compacted for use.  clay likes to be pounded, it consolidates with impact and also looses water.  Anyone who has done any clay sculpture usually throws or pounds the clay first.  It is said to get the air out but it dose much more.  The more dense the harder the finished product.  I like the animal idea best since on my farm I had a great cob mix all ready by the water trough.  I usually let a little trickle run off the top to keep it clean and fresh and help hydrate the horses hoofs.  Wah-la perfect cob, now that bob cat might be a great tool to move the cob and add more mix around the water hole.  </DIV>
<DIV>Someone mentioned building a pond and using that for the house.  In this state the agriculture dept will send someone out to pick a place for a new pond.  They will look at sites and do core samples to advise you on the lands capacity to hold water.  A clay base is needed.  In WV this is a free service, however because of the geography most of the material taken from the pond site ends up in the dam.</DIV>