Cob: RE: Workshop photos, more info

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Mon Jul 28 12:29:57 CDT 2003

Yes, my cob walls all use earthbags / superadobe for the foundation. Works great! I make the walls the same width as the bags I'm working with.

Patrick Newberry
www.gypsyfarm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Chandra Glick [mailto:moonchild1970 at hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 9:17 AM
To: yodasroom at yahoo.com; coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Re: Cob: RE: Workshop photos, more info

One question and one comment...

Would it be possible or practical to construct a foundation for a cob wall
out of earthbags? that sounds like it has potential...

If anyone has watched a concrete floor being laid, thay have probably seen
screeding. that is the most common use of the technique.
   -Chandra

----Original Message Follows----
>snip<
       The north wall was straw bale with an earthbag
foundation.  Barbed wire runs between the layers of
bags as an unofficial "mortar".  The bottom two rows
of earthbags are filled with gravel to make sure water
doesn't wick up to the bales.  The top layer of bags
are just filled with dirt.
>snip<
I believe it's called "screeding".  You put
down two 2x4's and level them.  Then you fill in that
section of floor, leveling with another board like a
squeegie down the length of the 2x4's as you go.  Next
you take out the board that's farther away from you
and move it to do another section.  You do the whole
floor by "leap frogging" the same two boards.  This is
MUCH MUCH easier to do than I can explain in words.