Cob: fibrous concrete reinforcement

otherfish otherfish at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 22:13:00 CDT 2003

I did an experiment one time using a papermache like pulp mixed in place of
the straw in cob - it made an excellent cob.  Very resistant to rain erosion
and much lighter than normal cob.  I only did some small brick tests & so
cannot attest to how it would work in a building, but I feel it has some
definite possibilities.  Also, the fibers are so small, that all the
components could probably be mixed in a standard cement mixer.  This would
be a great advantage over the current straw based "oregon Cob" model we all
seem to be pursuing.  It is possidle to purchase already prepared dry paper
pulp in a loose powdery form.

john fordice