Cob: Re: straw wattles

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at potkettleblack.com
Sat Aug 9 13:29:34 CDT 2003

There was some discussion here a bit back about straw wattles. I've posted
an orphan pic I took in Ireland here:
http://www.potkettleblack.com/natbild/images/strawwattles.jpg

It's a little hard to see what's going on, but that's the mantel of a
fireplace and the area above it. They didn't have a lot of trees in most of
Ireland, hence all the stone (and some earthen) buildings. The part of the
fireplace shown was made with a formwork of small-diameter sticks, woven
together (vertically) with "straw rope," which was just twisted dry straw.
I would have thought they'd dip it in clay or something, but they didn't.
Not at this place, anyway. Things are covered over with a clay plaster,
coated with lime. It's all in pretty rough shape, obviously.

I don't have any details about the construction of the chimney. It was
plastered. Most likely stone, though it could have been this throughout,
which is kind of a creepy thought. (So are wooden chimneys...
http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/hp/Colonial/editions/Acts/edenton.htm ).