Cob: Cattied fireplaces-straw wattles

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Sat Aug 9 23:39:14 CDT 2003

Clay and stick fireplaces are called Catties,  or cattied fireplaces,
and since clay does not burn, as in a cob oven it has been used for
centuries.  Clay coated sticks are wider at the bottom, narrow as they
go up, built as a 4 sided rectangle, small at the top

John Vivian has   nice drawings of a cattie in his "Wood Heat"  book
from the 1970s/  Personally I love the look of them, and if I had no
stone, or few, I would consider this method
(stone is the base only, and Vivian shows how to use a big juice can to
make the innner flue.

SO in essence y' got a tall rocket stove without the benefits of a cob
bench connected, but they work!

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534 707-441-1632
books at dirtcheapbuilder.com