Cob: Cattied fireplaces-straw wattles

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at potkettleblack.com
Sun Aug 10 13:02:12 CDT 2003

At 12:39 AM 8/10/2003, Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder wrote:
>Clay and stick fireplaces are called Catties,  or cattied fireplaces, and
>since clay does not burn, as in a cob oven it has been used for
>centuries.  Clay coated sticks are wider at the bottom, narrow as they go
>up, built as a 4 sided rectangle, small at the top

         Good to know there's a name for that technique, which I knew of
but not by any name.

         This one in Ireland was unlike that in that it wasn't built up
like Lincoln Logs. The sticks - which were horizontal only, except possibly
for a couple vertical pieces defining the corners (a guess, since those
weren't visible) - were doing little more than giving something for the
wrist-sized straw ropes to weave around. They were spaced well apart, sort
of like the rungs of a ladder.

>John Vivian has   nice drawings of a cattie in his "Wood Heat"  book from
>the 1970s/

         Huh. I have that book (in storage), but I guess my retention ain't
as perfect as it might be, alas.

         Sharing the fun of a quick self-informing websearch:

"The first fire in the town of Boston occurred on the 16th of March, 1631
from the imperfect claying of one of the 'cattied' chimneys, and two
buildings were destroyed." (This was the only reference I could find for
"cattied," and none for "cattie," with regard to this type of
chimney-building.)
http://hearth.com/what/historyfire.html

Log chimney pic
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/WP/journal/issues/v37n1/370101/370101.fg11.html

Lath chimney pic
http://www.planetware.com/photos/US/MA128.HTM

Timberframed chimney pic
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/users/deetz/Plymouth/framing12.html

"Note the leaning wood chimney chinked with mud." (large 1.4 meg pdf file
of a hand illustration, which could easily have been a much smaller gif or
jpg.)
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/faculty_archives/mountain_slavery/ill6.1.pdf

"The fireplace was made of logs and was large enough to take in a log five
or six feet long. On the fireplace was built a wooden chimney, made of
sticks piled up cob-house [?!?!] fashion, and extending out through the
roof some two or three feet. The sides of the chimney tapered inward as
they went up, so that the hole was somewhat smaller at the top than at the
bottom. When the woodwork of the fireplace was done, and the chimney built
up as high as needed, the whole affair was plastered outside and in with
wet clay, which finished the fireplace and chimney. The heat of the fire
soon hardened the clay and a chimney of this kind would last a long time."
(reference only)
http://core.ecu.edu/hist/cecelskid/chapter1.htm

"A portion of one wall of solid stone masonry that provides a fireproof
back for the clay fire hearth is characteristic of other early log cabins
in the Genesee Country, as is the clay-lined wooden chimney."
http://www.gcv.org/attractions/historicVillage/villageHomes/Pioneer.shtml

"After this we built the chimney out with sticks and mud, and daubed the
cracks of the cabin. My wife carrying me all the mixed mud for that
purpose. While we were working it, it snowed so hard that I could hardly
see her to the clay hole. I wanted to quit, but she said no, and we
finished it that night." (reference only)
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilwhite2/wchs_05_30_02.html

"The house had no floor but there was a wretched wooden chimney, which at
times smoked fearfully."
http://www.turtletrack.org/CO_FirstPerson/CO_04052003_Verwyst_1.htm

- - - - -

         Catties. I'll remember that now. But I still wouldn't build one
while any other option existed - though I'd sooner do that than make one
out of twisted straw. I readily accept that solid wood fully encased in a
decent thickness of clay would have a tremendously, mighty, awfully, darned
hard time igniting; straw, whether dry or leichlehm, even when coated with
inches of earthen render, I don't trust for applications like that. (Cob
and adobe are another matter.) Here's why:
http://www.potkettleblack.com/natbild/fire.html